picture to replace

picture to replace

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Today is already Wednesday, the 25th of February. Sister Vander Veur and I have really struggled with all the electronics. A new laptop computer and tablet purchased shortly before we left, both with Microsoft 8.1, trying to locate websites to help us with our languages classes, figuring out our church-issued phone......and then learning how to maneuver our new blogsite.
Two weeks ago, February 11th, I started a new post, but never completed it.

I want to share those thoughts now.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015
After quite a bit of typing, deleting, pushing buttons and struggling with downloading our photos....I think we're ALMOST able to really share pictures and experiences that weren't captured in the first 2 posts. Like my dear, sweet Mom (now in her 92 year on the planet) always says......"There's so much going on".
Before I talk about us and some more our missionary experiences thus far, let me share some feelings about two dear friends and neighbors and my cousin Pete who all 3 gave us advice and encouragement to move forward with our mission plans.

All three have recently been called home, Dan Hillesheim in early January, Brother Rick Parry about a week ago and on February 9th, my cousin Pete Dirkmaat.

Dan has been a wonderful neighbor and a friend for many years, not just to me, but to everyone who ever met him. He faithfully and lovingly served for 5 years in our ward bishopric. He was a wonderful Dad and granddad.  He loved the gospel.
We attended his funeral on January 9th, just 3 days before entering the MTC. As his 23 grandchildren sang, it was apparent that Dan and Debbie had their own Primary! Dan loved to help people. He was always there to assist and advise us and the other neighbors. If the task required some muscle....he was definitely the one to call (as I often did!).
Last spring as I was working in the garden in front of my house, I heard Dan holler my name. As I looked toward the sound, I saw him up on his roof! He loved weather patterns, forecasting and watching the clouds, but this time he may have been removing Christmas lights. As I walked the 2 doors down, and joined Debbie in the driveway, who was apparently supervising, he announced that they needed to sell the house and that he and Debbie needed to immediately move to Texas to manage the business venture he was involved with there.
The Hillesheims and the Vander Veurs were blessed as my phone rang and rang and the house was sold. Dan knew they needed to go and they knew we were saving to go on a mission.
I know the sale was an answer to their prayers as well as ours as we as we prayed for success in my business to get us financially prepared to serve.

Rick and Judy Parry lived in our ward for many years. I first met them when they purchased their home that I had listed. Rick was a wonderful example of Christlike service. He served faithfully in about every calling in the Church. His cancer diagnoses shocked all.  For several years he was a full-time Service Missionary and seemed to be over the cancer, but it came back.
He underwent a procedure that required him to be isolated in the hospital for some time. On a visit to him in the hospital, we spoke about my plan to sometime go on a mission with Kathy, but that I was concerned about the cost and how I could afford to serve.  In his wisdom, he asked me how much I thought the monthly cost of the mission would be.  I told him.  Then he asked me......"What does it cost you monthly to live here in your home in Sandy?" My answer surprised me...it costs about the same as the mission!  Then he said, "Well what are you waiting for?  Go!"

I then went to the Lord with my feelings and received the answer that the way would be prepared, the finances would come.  I still hesitated to commit and went back to the Lord with my concerns about finances AFTER our mission.  I again received the reassurance that all would be well upon our return.

My Cousin Pete Dirkmaat is the oldest grandchild on the Emo side of our family. Pete's mom, Aunt Alice, was my mom's other sister. The past few years as we talked about Kathy and I planning to serve a mission, Pete always encouraged us to request Suriname, a Dutch speaking country in South America.  Pete and Renee served there several years ago and loved the experience. My answer was well, we really would like to back to Holland (Europe) where I served as a young man 50 years ago.
As I was planning the 2013 annual Emo Family Reunion, held for about 60 years on the 24th of July, I called Pete with some questions. He said, "Martin, I'm turning 70 but feel like I'm 80". Weeks later his colon cancer was discovered and he was told he didn't have much time, maybe just a few months. He stayed in touch as we continued our mission preparation. Last July 24th (2014), he was still able to attend the reunion. At a later time as we spoke on the phone, he told me about the plans he'd made.  He had written his family history and distributed it, he made burial and funeral arrangements including the service and jokingly added "It was kinda fun!" After he heard about our call to the Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo East Mission (not Holland) he congratulated us even though it wasn't to Suriname. He asked to be contacted so he could hear us speak prior to leaving.  He was weaker now, but made the effort to come down from Idaho to hear us. Now as we complete the first month of our mission, Pete was called home. Pete was a wonderful man. We appreciate his example of missionary service and his kind words of encouragement to serve as soon as possible. He loved the gospel. He endured to the end. He's now having a wonderful reunion with those he loves on the other side of the veil.

These 3 brothers, who have all passed on the past few weeks helped make it possible for us to serve here and now. I'll be forever grateful for each of their contributions.


All who have developed their faith in Christ and received a testimony of the truth are called to invite and to share the message. The atonement of the Savior, the  marvelous plan of salvation, living apostles and prophets, priesthood authority and the coming forth of The Book of Mormon,are for all of God's children.. By obedience to the commandments, blessings will follow. Our Heavenly Father is aware of everyone of us and knows our needs, our desires, our hearts, our pains, our challenges. He loves us!

3 comments: