picture to replace

picture to replace

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A Postal Miracle? Or a Cruel Joke?

When we were at the MTC in Provo, I forgot to  get a missionary name badge in Dutch, like Sister VV did.  I learned to covet that magnetic badge of hers...it could be attached on any article of clothing, no pocket required!!.  I want a magnetic badge...... AND in Dutch, not my English badge that needs a pocket to hang on!

There's been a lot to figure out, since we arrived on this pretty isolated island!  It took me until February 24th to figure out HOW to contact the Provo MTC from here and order 2 badges for me......both in Dutch, and 1 has to be magnetic!  Wow! That will be soooooooo cool! Sister VV and I will match badge-wise and I can wear ANY shirt AND my Missionary badge as we take our exercise walk along the harbor every morning!

Weeks have come and weeks have gone. No mail.

I decided to email Provo to verify they really sent them......."yes..on February 25th.......but we can't trace because you didn't ask for DHL".  What's DHL?!

Early on April 1st, after our daily walk along the Playa, we had a 7:30am appointment to get the car serviced. We delivered the car and a mechanic drove us back to the apartment. It was still early, so I decided to trim a couple of bushes. I put the  clippings in the garbage can, which sits in a tidy gated cage, right by the mailbox.

I've often wondered why they have mailboxes here, we've  never seen a mailman or a mail vehicle anywhere on the island since we arrived on January 22nd! 

Anyway, being near the mailbox, I decided to peek through the slot of the locked container. I saw mail! Real mail! With my skinny , brown little fingers I was able to pull out a couple of pieces through the slot.

 One was a brown envelope with my name on it! 

Since it was April Fools, I wondered if this was some cruel trick from the Elders or our landlord since I'd talked often about the day my badges might arrive.

I went into the house and in the presence of Sister VV, carefully opened the envelope with as much ceremony as when we opened our Mission Call letter. 

My Badges!!  And one is magnetic!

Truly a miracle, letters from Utah can really come right to our home on Bonaire! 

-Elder VV




No comments:

Post a Comment