picture to replace

picture to replace

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Memorial Day

Memorial Day was not yesterday here on Bonaire. I think it was a few weeks ago cause we have seen wreaths around and fake flowers in the cemetery.

I have very fond memories of Memorial Day when I was a young girl. We all gathered at the Wasatch Lawn Cemetery. The aunts and uncles came. All brought flowers - purple iris and white pom poms were from our house, 

We remembered Grandma and Grandpa Romney, The cousins Rosy and Cindy and David and Karen, Corey, Marv, Lynne and Laurie and the little kids  all played around on the grass. I wish I would have listened to the grown-up talk... that would have been so interesting.

After the cemetery we all went up Mill Creek Canyon for breakfast. I can see Aunt Bea standing cooking bacon. Then she cracked the eggs into the simmering hot bacon grease.  Those eggs were delicious! A heart attack waiting to happen ..but people didn't worry about  things like that in the olden days.

I am so thankful for the heritage I come from and for the examples of faithful people I observed as a young girl and throughout my life.
I am so glad that we are celebrating the 100th birthday year of our father Alvin Charles Soderborg on the 27th of November 2016.

I, Kathleen Soderborg Vander Veur having been born of goodly parents was taught in the learning of my father and mother in the ways of God. As we remember dad this year and the things he taught us I will  also remember all those  who have gone before, for  lives well lived, testimonies borne in word and by example and I will remember and be thankful. 

We love you all so much. Thank for your prayers and love and support.


 A war memorial by the Wilhelmina Plein and the pier



"I am the Resurrection and the Life" - in Papiamentu

The cemetery in Bonaire. They do not bury people in the ground here since we are living on an island of coral rock - it is hard to dig a hole - so they put the dead in above ground crypts or tombs

No comments:

Post a Comment